I studied philosophy (major), mathematics (minor) and English Linguistics (minor) at the University of Tübingen, where I obtained my undergraduate degree (Magister) in 2010 with a thesis on consequence relations in Bolzano. As of December 2010, I held a PhD position in the NWO research project "What is Really Possible? Philosophical Explorations into Branching-History Based Real Modality" launched at Utrecht University, and I followed the research project from Utrecht to Konstanz in October 2013. My PhD thesis under the supervision of Albert Visser (Utrecht University) and Thomas Müller (University of Konstanz) is entitled "Transitions toward a Semantics for Real Possibility".
I have taught courses on modal and temporal logic and the history of logic. My main research interests include the logic and metaphysics of historical and natural modalities. I am a member of the Internationale Bernard Bolzano Gesellschaft, the Centre for Philosophy of Time, the Society for Philosophy of Time and the Dutch Research School of Philosophy (OSZW).
- "Actuality and Possibility in Branching Time: The Roots of Transition Semantics". Work in progress.
- "What if, and when? Conditionals, Tense, and Branching Time". Work in progress. (with Sven Lauer).
- "First-order Definability of Transition Structures". Work in progress. (with Alberto Zanardo).
- "An Introduction to Real Possibilities, Indeterminism, and Free Will: Three Contingencies of the Debate". Introduction to the Special Issue Real Possibilities, Indeterminism and Free Will. Synthese (online first). (with Thomas Müller and Verena Wagner). DOI: 10.1007/s11229-018- 1842-4.
- "Review of: Bernard Bolzano. Theory of Science. Translated by Paul Rusnock and Rolf George. Oxford: Oxford University Press. 2014". In: ISIS 107(4): 854–856, 2016. DOI: 10.1086/689424
- Transitions toward a Semantics for Real Possibility. PhD thesis. Questiones Infinitae: Publications of the Department of Philosophy and Religious Studies, volume 98. Utrecht University, 2016. Utrecht University Repository
- "Transition Semantics for Branching Time". Journal of Logic, Language and Information 25(1): 77–108, 2016. DOI: 10.1007/s10849-015-9231-6 (open access).
- "Simplicity and Economy in Bolzano's Theory of Grounding". Journal of the History of Philosophy 54(3): 469–496, 2016. (with Stefan Roski). DOI: 10.1353/hph.2016.0048.
- "Bolzano's Concept of Grounding (Abfolge) against the Background of Normal Proofs". Review of Symbolic Logic 6(3): 424–459, 2013. DOI: 10.1017/S1755020313000154. Final Draft: Logic Preprint Series, Utrecht University.
- Ableitbarkeit und Abfolge bei Bernard Bolzano vor dem Hintergrund des Modelltheoretischen und Beweistheoretischen Folgerungsbegriffs. M.A. thesis. Department of History and Philosophy, Tübingen University, 2009.
- Actuality and Possibility in Branching Time. Workshop: Logic and the Philosophy of Time. Dansk Filosofisk Selskabs Årsmøde 2018. Roskilde, Denmark, 2–3 March 2018.
- Transition Semantics and the Passage of Time. Logic and Philosophy of Time: Themes from Prior. Copenhagen, Denmark, 22–24 November 2017.
- Time, Change and Powers. Colloquium of the Research Unit for Epistemology, Metaphysics and Philosophy of Cognition. Aarhus, Denmark, 27 October 2017.
- Time for Powers. Modally Rich Metaphysical Landscapes. Krakow, Poland, 9–10 June 2017.
- Real Possibilities and their Formal Representation. Workshop on Time and Modality. Skagen, Denmark, 29 May–1 June 2017.
- Indeterministic Causal Models and Historical Conditionals. Modeling Causal Dependencies in Formal Semantics. Konstanz, Germany, 22 May 2017.
- Transition Semantics for Branching Time. IHPST PhilMath Seminar. Paris, France, 13 March 2017.
- Transition Semantics for Branching Time. Logic Colloquium. Konstanz, Germany, 8 December 2016.
- Transitions toward a Semantics for Real Possibility. Institutskolloquium des Philosophisches Seminars. Hamburg, Germany, 23 November 2016.
- Précis of "Transitions toward a Semantics for Real Possibility". Real Possibilities and Branching Time. Utrecht, The Netherlands, 12 November 2016.
- Potentialities for Branching Time. Dispositions in Action: Laws of Nature, Explanation and Modality. Satellite workshop SOPhiA 2016. Salzburg, Austria, 7 September 2016.
- Branching Time, Real Possibilities and Potentialities. Real Possibilities, Real Absences? Cologne, Germany, 4–5 December 2014.
- Simplicity and Economy in Bolzano's Theory of Grounding. (with Stefan Roski). Bolzano in Prague 2014. Prague, Czech Republic, 16–19 July 2014.
- Grounding in Bolzano and Normal Proofs. Recent Work on the Logic of Ground. Oslo, Norway, 4–5 June 2014.
- Simplicity and Economy in Bolzano's Theory of Grounding. (with Stefan Roski). Grounding Gothenburg - Or: On Ground and Consequence. Gothenburg, Sweden, 8–9 February 2014.
- Was ist wirklich möglich? Philosophisches Mittelbaukolloquium. Essen, Germany, 23 January 2014.
- Transitions towards a Semantics for Real Possibility. TF Lunch Talk Series. Utrecht, The Netherlands, 17 December 2013.
- Transition Semantics for Branching Time. Workshop on Temporal Logic and Philosophy of Time: Open Issues. Padua, Italy, 7 October 2013.
- Real Possibilities and Potentialities. SOPhiA 2013. Salzburg, Austria, 12–14 September 2013.
- Branching Models for Real Possibility. Graduate Conference in Theoretical Philosophy. Groningen, The Netherlands, 18–20 April 2013.
- What will happen if ... ? Conditionals in Transition Semantics. PhDs in Logic V. Munich, Germany, 8–10 April 2013.
- Towards a Semantics for Real Possibility. Colloquium: Logic and Epistemology. Bochum, Germany, 6 December 2012.
- Towards a Semantics for Real Possibility. TiLPS Research Seminar in Logic and Language. Tilburg, The Netherlands, 22 November 2012.
- Real Possibilities in a Branching Framework. WIRP-II: What is Really Possible? Logical and Philosophical Aspects of Real Possibility. Satellite workshop GAP.8. Konstanz, Germany, 21–22 September 2012.
- Bolzano on the Hierarchy of Truths. (with Stefan Roski). Workshop on History and Philosophy of Logic and Metaphysics. Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 3 September 2012.
- Bolzano on the Hierarchy of Truths. (with Stefan Roski). Logical Realism. Leiden, The Netherlands, 21 August 2012.
- Branching Time Semantics with Sets of Transitions: A Local Approach to Real Possibility. Trends in Logic XI. Bochum, Germany, 3–5 June 2012.
- Branching Time Semantics with Sets of Transitions. PhDs in Logic IV. Ghent, Belgium, 12–13 April 2012.
- Bolzano's Concept of Grounding against the Background of Normal Proofs. The Classical Model of Science II: The Axiomatic Method, the Order of Concepts and the Hierarchy of Sciences from Leibniz to Tarski. Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 2–5 August 2011.
- Bernard Bolzano's Notion of Form and his Concept of Formal Grounding. (with Stefan Roski). The Notion of Form in the 19th and Early 20th Century Logic and Mathematics. Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 20–21 January 2011.
- Ableitbarkeit und Abfolge bei Bernard Bolzano vor dem Hintergrund des Modelltheoretischen und Beweistheoretischen Folgerungsbegriffs. Oberseminar Logik und Sprachtheorie. Tübingen, Germany, 15 June 2010.
|04/2018–09/2018|| Modallogik und ihre Anwendungen (Modal Logic and its Applications)|
University of Konstanz
David Lewis: On the Plurality of Worlds
Bernard Bolzanos Philosophie und Logik (Bernard Bolzano's Philosophy and Logic)
|02/2016||Semantischer Relativismus (Semantic Relativism) |
University of Konstanz
|06/2013:||Geschiedenis van de Logica (History of Logic) |
Gastcollege (Guest Lecture)
|11/2012–02/2013||Logica voor AI (Logic for Artificial Intelligence) |
|05/2012||Voortgezette Logica (Advanced Logic) |
Gastcollege (Guest Lecture)
|11/2011–02/2012||Logica voor AI (Logic for Artificial Intelligence) |
Werkcollege (Exercise Group)
|10/2007–03/2008||Structure and Meaning: Syntax and Semantics |
University of Tübingen